Grilled Swordfish with Herbes de Provence
- 2 swordfish steaks from Dedham Farmers Market vendor
- 2 Tablespoon any Herbes de Provence pre-made spice blend
- 2 tbsp olive oil or any virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp of toasted sesame oil (to be used during cooking)
- 1 tsp Himalayan coarse salt and 1 teaspoon (tsp) fresh black pepper
- One whole chopped tomato and half a red (Bermuda) onion
- Loaf of Rosemary Bread or any artisan bread
- Set aside 4 hours before cooking: Prep: chopped tomatoes, and red onion. (no oil yet) Use Herb de Provence and ‘rub’ (dry rub) the swordfish steaks first, then add tomato/onion chopped veggie blend,. . (no oil –yet) , Sit for few hours to flavors expand into swordfish. I use 1 T Herb de Provence per swordfish steak. So, two steaks, use 1 T per each sword steak. Dry rub both sides per each steak. * chives can be used instead of onion, OR, you can use both! Place in refrigerator until ready to cook for dinner,. Also, wait to add ‘salt and pepper’.
- Preheat on high gas grill OR Weber grill for five minutes.
- Take sword steaks out of fridge and now add 2 tbsp. olive oil, to the Herbes de Provence coated swordfish steaks, and add , Fleur de Sel (any course salt ) and pepper. Coat well, both sides.
- Set aside for ten minutes for flavors to enhance sword steaks. Tip: *don’t use a lot of salt, it breaks down enzymes and proteins in fish, and never add during prep. Add right before cooking.
- Grill steaks over high heat, for 2 minutes to sear, then, turn down heat to medium heat , and cook until done ( about 10 minutes for thick steaks ). Watch: as it depends on thickness of swordfish steaks. Key is: don’t overcook! Stay with it. Thinner steak, less cooking time.
- When steaks are almost ready , (they have 2 minutes left of grill time) , drizzle toasted sesame oil on top of sword steaks.
- Takes steaks off and serve immediately.
- Menu addition options:
- A: Serve with Market sliced tomatoes, sautéed wax beans or green beans and red bliss potatoes (all found at Market)
- B: No time? - Serve with delightful Artisan bread. Put some fresh rosemary into a small jar and add Spanish olive oil, shake and pour on bread. Add few sliced tomatoes to the plate.
Very high in omega 3 fatty acids which are good for brain power. With Covid-19 we need all the brain power we can muster! Great immune booster foods!
Shared by Joanne Keaveney Dietitian/Chef