• 8 super fresh ears of corn
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
• Juice of 2 limes
• 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapenos
• 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Light a large grill to a medium-hot temperature, about 375 degrees.
- Fill a big bucket with ice water and, leaving husk and silk intact, submerge the corn and soak for 30 minutes.
- Combine the olive oil, lime juice, and chili in a small pan and put on the grill for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, season with salt, and add the basil.
- Shake out the corn to remove excess water. Set the corn on the grill and grill on three sides for 5 minutes each. Remove from the grill and allow to rest and steam 4 minutes.
- To serve, pull the husks off the sides of the corn, leaving it to hang off the bottom. Remove and discard the silk. It should come off easily at this point.
- Season the corn with salt and pepper and brush with the seasoned olive oil, being sure some of the basil adheres to the corn.
- Serve immediately.
A favorite summer food, corn is healthy and delicious. Corn contains eye improving vitamin A, heart healthy vitamin C, as well as folate, phytonutrients, and cancer fighting antioxidants and lutine. The nutritional content can vary with the type of corn, for example yellow corn is a good source of beta-carotein while white corn is not. All corn, regardless of color, is a great source of dietary fiber.
Recipe by Jody Adams - Rialto Restaurant and courtesy of Mass Farmers Markets