- 2 cups onions, diced
- 1/2 cup celery (including the green tops), diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups peeled winter squash, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups cauli ower orets
- A small bunch of kale, stems removed, leaves roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 turkey sausage links
- 1 15-oz. can Great Northern or other beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped parsley, cilantro and scallions to sprinkle on top
- In a large pot, saute the onion, carrot and celery in oil for 5 minute to soften. Add ginger and garlic and saute for an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock, winter squash, basil, thyme, cumin, salt, and pepper, and bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add cauliflower, kale and the beans.
- Push little sausage meatballs out of the casing and into the soup.
- Simmer 15 more minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
This combination of nutrient-rich, cancer-fighting vegetables and beans o? ers you dietary ? ber, lutein, beta-carotene, vitamin A, iron and B-vitamins that will help you build a healthier and leaner body.
Recipe created by Anna Gershenson and courtesy of Mass Farmers Markets.